How it works
The Minister of Commerce and Consumer Affairs has the power to publish product safety policy statements under section 30A of the Fair Trading Act.
The Minister may choose to issue a policy statement when:
- there's a safety concern relating to goods, or a class of goods
- the concern requires some form of rectification
- a more formal intervention (for example, a mandatory product safety statement) is not necessary or appropriate.
A product safety policy statement:
- provides suppliers and manufacturers guidance on the safety of the goods, and
- enables the market to self-correct by applying the guidelines contained in the statement.
If there is a satisfactory improvement in the safety of the goods, there may not be a need for a more formal regulatory intervention, such as a mandatory product safety standard.
Product safety policy statements are reviewed every 5 years.