About this unsafe goods notice
This notice originally came into force in 2012 and was updated on 5 October 2021.
The notice applies to new multipurpose ladders supplied, or offered or advertised for supply, in trade.
'Multipurpose ladder' means any portable ladder that has one or more pairs of articulation joints, which allow the ladder to be rearranged to function as:
- a single ladder, with or without a stand-off
- a single or double sided step ladder
- scaffold or work platform.
'Articulation joint' means a hinge which is capable of being locked in one or more positions.
All multipurpose ladders must fully comply with all applicable clauses of either:
- AS/NZS 1892.1:1996, Portable ladders, Part 1: Metal, as modified by Schedule 1 of the notice. Or,
- AS 1892.1:2018, Portable ladders, Part 1: Performance and geometric requirements, as modified by Schedule 2 of the notice.